This year as you may know from a previous post, I have been transitioning into a new style. It seems to me that as each year goes by there are more and more trends, and old ones don’t seem to pass that quickly, so that leaves us with tons of styles to choose from. One thing that I am very set on, is that besides looking good and put together, I also want to look different. I hate it when one trend gets super popular and all of a sudden everyone looks like they are wearing a uniform. Here in Ecuador that happens too much, I think people are afraid to try new and different trends and that leads to them just going for the safe path. I don’t think of myself as a trend setter or anything like it, but I do pride myself on trying new things.
There are 5 trends that have caught my eye this year:
1. Peter Pan collar: I have no idea why it’s called Peter Pan, since the boy who never wanted to grow never wore anything like it, but I love how adorable and sweet it looks. There are tons of variations, and there are also necklaces that simulate the collar. The only thing that I do not agree with this trend is when they wear the necklace with a shirt that has cleavage.
2. Pastel color block: We were introduced to color block probably by gossip girl and the trend is still very much alive since then. Colorful outfits give life to clothes, I don’t understand why during winter everything is black, brown, beige and white, its enough that the weather is terrible don’t depress me also with the clothes. Pastel color block is a sweeter version, it still plays with pairing colors but it doesn’t scream like a fucsia with electric blue outfit would.
3. Peplum: This is a completely new shape that may or may not flatter everyone, depending on their body shape. Looking at many peplum outfits I have reached to the conclusion that it looks better when it is done in a top rather than in skirts or dresses. It looks sophisticated and it doesn’t make your hips look as wide as it does when its in the bottoms.
4. Crop tops: Very tricky look to pull of, you are a centimeter away from looking trashy but if you do pull it off it looks amazing. In my opinion, in order to pull it off you have to wear high waisted skirts, shorts or pants, you shouldn’t show your belly bottom. You show just a little hint and it will look flirty but keeping it classy. I think it looks best with maxi skirts and long sleeves.
5. Chevron oversized: Ok, people might start to get tired of chevron anything because it is everywhere, I know. But the print is so geometric and interesting that it is here to stay. It is perfect for color blocking specially when the lines are very big and bold. At the same time it is a print that is easy to match with almost anything, including other prints and it will always be a statement piece.
My shopping list is ready but I am going to have to wait for spring because the absence of color in every store I look is killing me, besides we are nowhere near a winter and we will never be. Forever Summer ;).